Si je n'avais pas lu Edward Saïd, je serais orientaliste - لو ما قرأت كتاب إدوارد سعيد لكنت مستشرقة

Saturday 7 April 2012

Memories (1) - Egypt

     Asleep in the tourist bus, brand new and air-conditionned against the heavy temperatures of the country. Heavy for us tourists not used to egyptian weather, even though it was a nice spring. We were being taken from a tourist site to another, we had just passed by Hatshepsut's funeral site. We were now passing by a very poor neighbourhood. I was asleep because we woke up early and stayed up late, in order to be able to take all of what we could of the country in this very small week of holidays. And so, wanting to take all in, I slept through most of our coming and goings, thus missing whole sceneries adn views ...
     During this particular trip, I don't know why I woke up very briefly, thinking that maybe I was yet again missing out on something great. The bus was fast, and just as I opened my eyes, for 2 seconds, I found myself staring at a boy, less than a meter or two from me, behind the window, out in the street or what was passing for a street (a length of dirt flater than elsewhere), the upper half of his body down a roadside bin, with a goat beside him also head in the bin, both awfully skinny, skeletons of a human and a goat respectively, both looking through the garbage, obviously looking for anything that could be eaten. The boy got out of the bin just as the bus rode by with me in it, looking straight at us though not really seeing us, but it felt as if he was staring back at me, precisely me and no one else. 
     It was living scene of extreme misery, but what shocked me even more was this stare, his eyes. Where any one of us could have expected to find some pleading or sadness or anger or some strong emotion «fitting» with what we were seeing, I found nothing but calm. A calm look, serene, with maybe a hint of interrogation, and not even curiousity. Rich tourists passing by were a daily occurrence to this boy, just as not finding food and no clean clothes to put on. So we didn't deserve curiosity or anything else. He just happened to hear the noise of the bus, wondering if he was too close to the road, so he just glanced at the bus' curving trajectory. In that glance, for a quarter of a second that seems an hour in my memory, I saw this incredible stare of a starving boy in the middle of nothing but old houses and dirt. It disturbed me much more than any TV news I had seen on poverty or any other sort of subject usually linked to the «third world», the majority world I had never seen up until that moment, this unexpected holidays in Egypt I spent when I was 16, with my godfather and his family.
     I discovered at that moment that the rest of the world didn't need us, and especially didn't need pity or tears or the like, and possibly could be better off without us. That the rest of the world was staring back at us as an equal, and possibly a «stronger» equal in that it had not much too lose, unlike us, the rich tourists who couldn't survive a mild springtime without air conditioning.
     The boy didn't need pity. He needed food, but didn't ask for it, he was looking for it by himself. And wondering how to come by it, and how things came that rich tourists were passing by his village everyday. And maybe how all this could be changed. Unless that is what I wanted him to think, when it's more plausible he was being fatalistic, thinking that the only thing that was within his grasp was to look for food in trash bins. But then that too, could be only what an intellectual would like to think, that all arabs are fatalistic ...
    What was behind these eyes, I'll never know for sure, but I discovered a whole new world, less than a meter or two from me. I remember this boy more clearly now than the pyramids or anything else in Egypt.

  بالعربية هنا

No comments:

Post a Comment